Thai style shrimp and noodles with yu choi
You will need :
- 10 oz (285 g) shrimp, unfrozen
- 1 lime
- 25 g fresh ginger, chopped finely or 4 TBsp. ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1-1/2 cup yu choi (you can substitute chinese brocoli or any leafy greens in a bind)
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil
- 165 ml (slightly under 3/4 cup) coconut milk
- 8 oz (225 g) Shanghai noodles
- 1 TBsp. red curry paste, or to taste
- avocado oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup + 2 TBsp. water
- 2 TBsp. chopped peanuts (optional)
- Trim off and discard the ends of the yu choy; roughly chop the stems and leaves.
- Quarter the lime.
- Pick the Thai basil leaves off the stems; roughly chop the leaves.
- In a large pan, heat a drizzle of oil on medium. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add as much of the curry as you’d like (half tablespoon = medium-spicy). Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until toasted and fragrant. Add the yu choy, ½ the basil and 2 tbsp of water to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes, or until the broccoli stems are crisp-tender.
- While the veggies cook, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles to the pot of boiling water. Cook 7 to 9 minutes, or until al dente (still slightly firm to the bite). Drain thoroughly and transfer to the pan of cooked veggies. Stir to combine.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towel and remove the shells from the tails; season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp, coconut milk and ¾ cup of water to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently to coat the noodles in the sauce, 4 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through. (Be careful not to boil the sauce, as the coconut milk may separate.) Remove from heat and stir in the juice of 2 lime wedges.
- Divide the finished noodles between two bowls. Garnish with the peanuts, remaining lime wedges and remainder of Thai basil. Bon appétit!
Servings: 2 (generous servings)
Total fat: 36 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Sodium: 651 mg
Carbs: 51 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 4 g
Proteins: 46 g